Proper lubrication is very important to maintain your warranty and to maximize the longevity of your blower. You want to make sure you don't under-fill, over-fill, or use the wrong oil and/or grease in your Roots blower.
- Read your operating manual for complete lubrication and maintenance instructions.
- Use Roots Synthetic Oil. It is superior in performance to petroleum based products. It has high oxidation stability, excellent corrosion protection, extremely high film strength and a low coefficient of friction. Typical oil change intervals are increased 2-3 times over petroleum based lubricants. If you choose to use another brand of oil, use a good grade of industrial type non-detergent, rust inhibiting, anti-foaming oil of the correct viscosity.
- Use Shell Darina EP NLGI Grade 2 Grease in URAI blowers, PN 5067628. For URAI-GAS blowers, use Roots NLGI Grade 2 premium grade aluminum complex grease with 300˚F (149˚C) service temperature, moisture resistance, and good mechanical stability, Roots PN T20019001.
- The oil should be changed after the initial 100 hours of operation.
- Ambient Temperature above 90°F (32°C) use ISO Viscosity No. 320
- Ambient Temperature 32°F to 90°F (0°C to 32°C) use ISO Viscosity No. 220
- Ambient Temperature 0°F to 32°F (-18°C to 0°C) use ISO Viscosity No. 150
- Ambient Temperature below 0°F (-18°C) use ISO Viscosity No. 100
- DO NOT under-fill or over-fill the blower. Use the overflow plug or sight glass to properly fill the oil to the optimum level.
- DO NOT use Mobil SHC synthetic oils in ROOTS blowers. It causes severe sludge build-up and seal leakage problems.
- DO NOT use automotive type lubricants, as they are not formulated with the properties recommended for your blower.
- DO NOT use Lithium based greases in URAI blowers. Also, do not mix the type of grease in the blower.
Oil viscosity is dependent on the expected ambient conditions surrounding the blower and driver. The required viscosity is as follows: